Tuesday, February 16, 2016
There are more than 35 tomatoes on a single plant in my balcony garden. I am happy to see so many organic tomatoes. That was not tough, anybody can do that even you can! I am sharing some tips to grow and get good yield from vegetables in pots.
- Select the pot of bigger size made up of mud or ceramics. You can also try growing plants in empty plastic bottles, empty tins or useless vessels. Don’t forget to make a small hole at bottom in plastic vessels for draining of excessive water.
- Place the pot in south or west balcony where the plant can get maximum sunlight. You can also place it near the window which gets the maximum sunlight in your house.
- Put the stones or small pebbles in the lowest layer of pot.
- Set the thick layer of soil above it.
- Spread the vegetables peels, washed tea leaves or crushed egg shells.
- Put some earthworms on it.
- Final layer of soil covering worms and their food.
- Sow the seeds and moist the soil with water.
- If there are earthworms then keep the soil sufficiently moist as they can’t sustain in soil which have less moisture.
- You can select any vegetable like brinjal (eggplant), tomato, mint, fenugreek, spinach, capsicum, chili etc. You can buy seed or saplings from a nearby nursery.
- To notice a new leave, a new flower or a new fruit on the plant is truly very refreshing.
- Planting vegetable in the balcony will also clean the air around your house.